Monday, October 6, 2008

Wells is Two months old...any advice??

Hey Friends! Okay, so I'm sorry there is no picture on this post. I've been a bit tired and busy all week. My sister and I had our Christmas Open House for our company, Save the Dates (which is about to change to Paper with Purpose...but I'll write about that later) last night and tonight. It required a lot of work, but was really fun!! For those of you who don't know, we sell stationery, wedding invitations, birth announcements, and lots of baby and adult gift items. We will have a website up soon and I'll tell you more. Anyways, this is about Wells! So he is now two months and is backtracking!!! He is waking up every two hours in the middle of the night and totally wrestling out of his swaddle. He hates it!!! I mean, kicking and screaming hates it! But he wakes up so often from flailing without it. And we have read every book and tried every trick. My child is no "book child"!! He comes off the incline, hates his back, definitely will not go down without being soothed, etc. I woke up to him crying at 1,3,5 yesterday and at 5 he was wide-eyed and smiling when I picked him up. So i knew that was trouble. He was ready to play! And I was ready to cry! Anyways, he can be soothed back down so he isn't hungry. We just aren't quite sure what is going on. His naps during the day are also back to being home-bound. He only likes to nap when forced...lovely! On a good note, he is cooing and smiling more which is fun! And of course I love him to bits. Nighttimes are just getting really tough. So any advice would be much appreciated!! I've really tried everything!! I just feel like he doesn't know how to put himself to sleep so he is just as frustrated as me...poor guy! I can't wait to see what I get in return to this post and I'm really afraid of people saying..."just stick it out, it will get better!" But I really feel that God is telling me to just be still and patient and know that I'm not in control. It's funny how God can teach us things, even through an infant's sleep patterns! Thanks in advance for your thoughts!!

5 comments:

Melissa said...

though some moms might kill me for saying this...have you tried letting him sleep on your tummy in the middle of the night? i finally figured out (when vale was about that same age) that the 3 am wake period just put me over the edge and if i could get rest after that the rest of the day would be okay. i would nurse her then let her sleep on my tummy and she'd go longer than 2 hours. since i was too scared to let her sleep on her tummy in her crib, sleeping on me was better and i felt more safe. i wouldn't do it every time she slept, but just when i couldn't take getting up anymore...usually at that 3 or 4 am feeding.

also, if he's right at 2 months, he may be going through a growth spurt. it seems like babies tend to regress a bit every two months and go back to feeding more often and then they'll go back to "normal" after a week or so. vale did that at 2, 4, and 6 months. but i only know from my personal experience and from friends, not by a book :) they don't really work for us either.

i am praying for you. you're a great mom, dana!

elizabeth said...

I am glad Melissa posted first, because I was thinking the exact same thing, ha! David prefers his tummy. Back sleeping really became a problem for him right around 6 weeks. I just felt like his sleep was restless and he was up like off and on all night but wasn't hungry.

BUT it could also be a growth spurt. I was always caught off guard by these and it took my way too long to figure out that was the issue. Every time they are about approach a new milestone they need more calories. He may just be needing to be nursed more often. I don't know how often you nurse him, but you may could shorten the periods between feedings to up your supply--basically you are upping his calories all day long.

You are doing great!! I swear once you figure out these little people, they change. I know it's frustrating. Just keep trying different things and maybe something will click.

j i l l said...

Bradley is definitely a side/tummy sleeper! He hates sleeping on his back. I have a sleep positioner, and I put him down on his side and he makes his way to his tummy during the night. I was so scared of SIDS at first, but Ryan and I were both tummy sleepers as babies, so it stands to reason that Bradley is, too. (I only started that once he had great head control.) He's five months now, and just to see what he'd do, I put him down for a nap on his back last week, and he was awake in 20 minutes. Still hates it.

At first, he'd wake himself up when he'd get flipped over on his back during the night, but he's learned to flip onto his stomach now. Maybe you could try it during nap times so you can watch how he does!

And I second the growth spurt comment. Bradley hit his at 11 weeks (I remember it VIVIDLY!), and we were up every three hours.

I'm praying for you as you learn the book Wells is writing for just you that's ALL HIS OWN! :)

Jeff, Bethany and Henry said...

Hi Dana-
I tend to agree with everyone. You really just need to do whatever you need to do to get him and yourself some sleep! We all know you and Chris are terrific parents and will take wonderful care of Wells. We used to put Henry's Papasan seat in his crib because he liked sleeping more upright. We also used the swing, propped him up on his side with a rolled up blanket, and sometimes when I nursed him lying down we would both fall asleep for a few hours and I would immediately nurse him when he stirred. That way, it didn't really interfere with our sleeping that much. Now that Henry can roll over, he immediately rolls on his stomach when we put him down for the night.

Henry was doing well for awhile, but now he's up at least once if not twice a night. I think it's a combination of teething, congestion, and getting his little tummy used to solid foods. So the adventure never really ends:) God bless.

Brandon Barnes said...

Hi -
Mother of three says it's a growth spurt! I know you are nursing him - I still think you are - but maybe a little bit of cereal at that last feeding will carry him through. I had to do it with my last one at 7weeks- and I didn't nurse - so you might try it at 10:30- or 11:00 - and it would carry him through the wee hours. I feel for you - there were many nights I just stayed up - then went to teach! Be strong sister! Love ya!
Sizemore gang

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers