Saturday, March 14, 2009

Quiet Times

Okay, I decided to do a different type of post because I've been terrible with picture taking lately. I haven't felt great and well, I need to take more pictures! Anyways, this post is about an awesome book I am doing for my quiet times. I was really tired of just doing "books" and really want to study the bible, but needed some direction. I am not great at opening up the bible and inductively studying on my own, so I wanted to find a book to lead me in that direction. Then I remembered doing an inductive bible study in college using one of Kay Arthur's books. If you have never studied with one of her books, she is amazing. She is a great teacher of how to study the Word. Therefore, I looked online and read some of her different titles and summaries and was really struck by Lord I want to Know You. It is all about the different names of God, what they mean, and how if we really knew them, we could truly know God in a more intimate way. I totally needed this. I was worried about the length of time b/c I always try to do my quiet times during Wells' first naps and they are never normally longer than 45 minutes. When I received this in the mail and began doing the study, I was amazed to find that most days take 15 minutes to do each day. Now in saying that, I highly needed to increase my prayer time so I use the rest of my time for that and for digging a little deeper into the scriptures she uses and guides me to. I wanted to post this because I know how hard it is being a mom and trying to find a time when you are coherent enough to do a quiet time and I know how hard it is to find a book that isn't just a "feel good book". So if you are wanting something that is short, but deep and will really teach you, I highly suggest this one! I tried to post a picture of this book, but couldn't get it to work for some reason. If any of you begin this book, let me know what you think. I have loved it!!!

5 comments:

Ashley Matteo said...

hey
thanks for the recommendation. i have been wanting something that will truly get me in THE WORD yet have some structure to it as well. i admire your dedication to God's Word and your encouragement and friendship

The Reeds said...

Dana,
I just ordered that book and two others from Amazon. I'm with you on the time concern, so I'm excited about these books. Thanks for the suggestions:) I hope you're feeling okay with baby #2!

Shireen said...

Girl, I just read your announcement! :) Well, Wells' announcement!! ;) How sweet! I also see the ticker!
Oh, Dana, how exciting! Thank you for sharing with me yesterday. I kind of hope this happens to us b/c it would be awesome to go ahead and have all of our babies and 'have it all done with!' :)
It was so good to catch up with you, Dana. I love you, and I hope Wells' appointment with the ENT goes well this week. Keep us posted...I WILL try to read a bit more closely!! ;)

Jeremy and Michelle said...

that is a great book - I read it in college but I think I may go find it and do it again - this is the time of year that my "yearly bible" reading starts to suffer - Will I ever make it all the way! :)

Rachel @ Moments With My Miracles said...

LOVE that book! It's a great one! Can't remember if I've told you yet...but congratulations on your pregnancy!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers