Thursday, March 19, 2009

Why were we created?

Well, if you have been a regular blog reader you will know that I am doing a study right now called "Lord, I want to Know You" by Kay Arthur. It is short each day, but so powerful. I was glad to hear so many people are either doing this now or had done it in the past. It is seriously such a motivator and just really challenging when you let your mind focus. And because my life as a mom is so different from the past, it is hard to know what the Lord has for me right now and am I doing all He wants me to do. It really doesn't feel like it. So, today was all about being created and why. I could always give the sunday school answer of "For His Glory" but did I really know what it meant? I just have to share this because it is so profound to me right now. In Hebrew, glory means "to give the correct opinion or estimate of". Therefore, if we are created for His pleasure, His Will and His Glory, then we are to "live in such a way as to give all of creation a correct opinion or estimate of who God is." Pretty convicting huh? Here is more of her words that I want to share..."Your life is to be lived in such a way as to reflect Him, to show the world the character of God- His love, His peace, His mercy, His gentleness. You are to live for Him, to accomplish His will. " (here is my favorite part) "To miss this purpose is to miss fulfillment. It is to have existed rather than to have lived." Wow, is all I can think and say. I have heard all of this many times before (except for the meaning of glory), but it is sinking in way more than ever before. Here are the questions to ask yourself if you are also challenged by these words, What does this mean to me as a child of God who is called by His name?
How would I live if I were to really live for His glory (to make all creation see Him)
Am I fulfilling the purpose of my creation?
What is keeping me from being or doing what I was created for?
I'm telling you...if you don't have anything to study right now, get this book and she will take you to the Bible and not just give her opinions. Plus I really believe it will change us.
(there is a Wells post below that I also did today)

2 comments:

Kellie said...

That was very profound and awesome! Thanks for sharing - even as a mom, and our daily duties as such, we can bring glory to God in so many ways - even if it is just by loving our family and neighbors.

Amy Kennedy said...

Hey Dana, I did this study a few years ago too and loved it! She is such a good writer and I really enjoyed the videos too. After I read your post a few days ago I went and got my book out again and I've already started re-reading it. Thanks for the motivation!! Hope you are doing well and congrats on baby #2!!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers